Friday, September 24, 2010

Pot Roast

I made a pot roast last night (Thursday). I bought the stuff for it Wednesday on my way home from work planning on throwing it into the slow cooker before going to bed. I wasn't feeling very good Wednesday and by the time I got home it was after 9 and since I had to leave for work in 12 hours I decided to leave it until after work Thursday. Felt worse Thursday morning, but somehow got myself into work. Worked for three hours and had to leave. Tried to read when I got home but headache was too bad and so I went to sleep simply because being unconscious seemed the simplest solution. When I woke up I decided I'd better get the pot roast going or put the roast in the freezer. The thought also occurred to me that a pot roast in a slow cooker was about the easiest thing I could actually cook. Except for bacon and eggs, which to be honest didn't appeal to my stomach.

I put 8 oz carrots, 8 oz celery, 1 lb cubed Yukon potatoes, 6 oz shallots, 3 lbs beef roast (browned), 1 (10 3/4  oz) can cream of mushroom with roasted garlic condensed soup and 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce into my slow cooker. Why shallots instead of onions? I'd never used them before and was curious of how they'd work.

I had some raw veggies (carrots and celery I had on hand for some reason) and saltines for dinner. I then read for awhile and wondered what time it was. I expected it to be something like 1am, but it was only coming onto 9pm. I was too tired and groggy to do much and too rested to go back to sleep. What to do What to do...

Hmm, isn't this what the internet was invented for? I decided to surf for a while. I also worked on my Lunch reference page for "The critter @ home". Look for the Lunch Time link under pages. After a couple of hours I was ready for bed.

This morning I opened the slow-cooker and divided the pot roast and veggies into a couple of storage containers and put it in the fridge. I did try a small bowl and it tasted great! The roast itself is falling apart and the veggies were flavorful. I'll have more for lunch; here at home since I have today off.

A day off, mostly wasted since I'm still sick. Why can I made myself work (usually) when I'm sick, but on my day off I'm lucky if I can force myself from the bed to the recliner? There are a dozen things I should do today and I know I'll be luck to get just a couple of them done.

1 comment:

  1. I’m sorry you are sick, but I am glad you got around to making the pot roast. I work with La Cense Beef, and our website has great recipes for cooking pot roast and using grass fed beef. Grass fed beef is higher in omega 3’s and lower in Omega 6 than the traditional grain fed beef. The flavor is also delicious.

    ReplyDelete