Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On Recent Reads, TV Shows and Movies

Reads:

I finally finished Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II Mystery Series #1) by James R Benn. It took me longer than usual to finish this book. I did not find it riveting, in fact I had to make myself go back to reading it just to finish it. My main problem with it is that I just couldn’t develop any concern for the characters.  During the same time I started and finished: 1632 by Eric Flint, The Lightening Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) by Rick Riordan, and I’m ashamed to say Mysteria by MaryJanice Davidson, Susan Grant, Gena Showalter and P.C. Cast a paranormal romance story collection. 
Billy Boyle **
1632 *****
The Lightening Thief ***
Mysteria **

TV Shows:

Of the new fall TV season I haven’t really got caught up in any of the new shows. About the only one I’ve been trying to follow is The Glades on A&E TV. I’m not sure why since about the only character I like is the medical examiner Carlos Sanchez. Jim Longworth is arrogant and full of himself, but he is observant. A trait I see too little of in real life. His love interest in the series is Callie Cargill who I think is rather whiney.  Other shows I’ve been watching a little include Haven (new), Warehouse 13 (continuing), Covert Affairs (New).  I’ve also watched a couple of episodes of Beast Legends ON DEMAND. It is a silly concept. The only reason I might watch it again is Kathryn Denning. What can I say? I like anthropologists and archaeologists and she’s both. 
One of these days I’ll use ON DEMAND or NBC Online to watch/catch-up on The Event. I started watching it one night, but was just too tired to enjoy it and haven’t gotten back to it yet.
Normally when I watch TV I watch Historical, Anthropological, Archaeological or Nature documentaries.

Movies:

On DVDs from NetFlix I’ve recently watched Avatar, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief, The Happening, The Lovely Bones, 9, and Alice in Wonderland. On Watch Instantly from NetFlix I’ve recently watched: Legend of the Lost, DeepStar Six, Beauty and the Beast, The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I Haven’t been to the theater for a while so no new theatrical releases. I did purchase Iron Man 2 a couple of days ago though.
9 (2009) **** – Cute little dolls verses big bad machines.
Avatar (2009) ***** -- I saw Avatar in IMAX and it really hit my fear of heights, I think I liked it better on my wide screen TV.
Alice in Wonderland (2010) ** – Big disappointment.
Beauty and the Beast (1946) ***** -- Beauty and the Beast was just as beautiful as the first time I saw it.
DeepStar Six (1989) *** – Watching this movie reminded me of another movie “Plymouth” a pilot for a series that was never picked up. I checked IMDb to see if it was available on DVD, it’s not. I did find it on YouTube (Plymouth Part 1)!!!
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) **** -- I was lucky because The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo appeared on NetFlix’s Watch Instantly list just after I finished the book. I can’t say either were really great, but they were both enjoyable.
The Happening (2008) *** – One of these days I’m going to make a chronological list of M. Night Shyamalan’s movies that are on NetFlix and watch them in order. It’s not that I’m especially fond of his work, It’s that I can’t decide.
Iron Man 2 (2010) **** – Okay sequel.
Legend of the Lost (1957) **** -- John Wayne and Sophia Loren (Angelina eat your heart out you’re not even close.) Not a big picture but oh so classic actors.
The Lovely Bones (2009)  **** – Sad, funny (in parts), tragic, tender and affecting.
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief (2010) *** – Better than the book, something I rarely say.
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea (1976) *** – Re-watched to see if I remembered it correctly, I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment